CollaborNation has the ability to automatically create and update users if organizations send a CSV file via SFTP (SSH/Secure File Transfer Protocol).
There are some expectations required of the client for successful file transfers.
- You use a system that stores employee data. This is often an HR or payroll system.
- It's recommended to reach out to a representative to ensure your system can send a CSV file of your employees via SFTP to CollaborNation.
- These system may charge a fee to deliver CSV files.
Supported HR and payroll systems
CollaborNation works in partnership with other systems to send user lists into our site. If you use any of the following organizations we can set up a connection more quickly.
We're always looking to add more supported systems. If you don't see yours listed please contact us and we'll be happy to work with you!
Step 1. Setting up a new file transfer
If it's an integration with a new system (not listed above), the following will need to be completed. If CypherWorx is already connected then this step can be skipped.
- CypherWorx will create a location where the system can send the CSV files.
- Public and private keys will be created to establish a secure connection between the two systems. Proper access is given to you.
- Host: ftp.cypherworx.com
- Protocol: SFTP
- Logon Type: Use provided key file
- Username: To be provided
Step 2. Confirm file delivery
Your system will send a test CSV file for CypherWorx to confirm its delivery.
- We'll make sure the file can be read and the users can be added to your site.
- Please use the same filename each day. It can be anything as long as it doesn't change.
- Send the full active employee list, as it will overwrite any existing files.
Step 3. Final details and go live
We'll need a few details from you before going live.
Send us a password to be used for all accounts.
The first time the person logs in it will ask them to change their password.
If an account already exists it will not override their password.
It is strongly recommended not to change the password after accounts have been created. If an administrator decides to do so there will be accounts created with two or more potential passwords, which may cause confusion for your learners.
Your HRIS system should not be storing account passwords in plaintext as it would be a security issue, and as such it should not be possible for the passwords to be sent to CollaborNation.
- Let us know if you would like for emails to be sent from the system when their accounts are created. Alternatively you can announce it to your learners yourself.
- Once a connection has been established, you can automatically send the CSV file based on your requirements (daily, weekly, etc.).
- Integration is completed and your site can go live.
The following fields can be sent in a CSV file.
|First Name||String||Yes||The first name of the individual.||"John"|
|Last Name||String||Yes||The last name of the individual.||"Smith"|
CollaborNation requires all users to have email addresses to create their account.
|Additional Registration Fields||String||No|
If the CSV file sends columns outside of first name, last name, and email address, the new fields will be added automatically as an ARI free text field.
If you would like this to add people to Reporting Groups, do the following:
The system will then create any Reporting Groups automatically and add the learners to those Reporting Groups.
It is up to the client to keep this data clean in their other system. It’s possible for the client to have two entries that are misspelled, e.g. “Bay Area” and “Bay Are”, if that’s what is sent in the CSV file. In this case two reporting groups would be created. CollaborNation will create any fields sent to us.
Attached is a sample CSV of the format CollaborNation can use easily.
Sites that have File Transfer set up will have File Transfer enabled in Admin Tools.
This page lets you view details of the file transfer, such as the default password for new accounts, when the site processes the CSV file, and lets you download the CSV file directly to see the exact data that CollaborNation receives.
Employee information often changes. They may change departments, changes their name, or potentially anything else. These changes should always be made in your HR/payroll system, and then those changes will be reflected automatically in CollaborNation the next day.
A few areas to note concerning updating employee details:
- CollaborNation uses the email address as the account's ID. If their name or ARI fields get updated and the email address stays the same, those changes will be made automatically. This will all be completed automatically.
- If a person's email address changes a second account will be created. This is because CollaborNation uses email addresses as identification fields. If this happens please contact us and we'll be happy to merge the accounts.
- All account changes should be made in the HR/payroll system. These changes will then be reflected in CollaborNation the next day. If changes are made in CollaborNation it will be overwritten by the CSV file the next day.
- If an account exists in CollaborNation but does not appear in the CSV, that account will be marked as inactive. This is primarily used to control employees who are terminated to block access from the site.
What File Transfer does not do
File Transfer has a lot of capabilities, but it doesn't do everything.
- Course records cannot be transferred from one system into CollaborNation via File Transfer.
- File Transfer does not have the ability to figure out the hierarchy of reporting groups, i.e. parent group -> children groups.
- This does not offer an SSO solution.