CollaborNation has the ability to automatically add and update users in an organization's site via SFTP (SSH/Secure File Transfer Protocol). The organization will send CypherWorx a CSV file on their schedule, with which the users will be added or updated automatically in site.
There are some expectations that CypherWorx requires the client to meet for the file transfer to be successful.
- The client currently uses a system that stores their employee data. This is often an HR or payroll system.
- The client can send a CSV file of their employees via SFTP.
- CypherWorx should first discuss with the client the data that will be transferred over first to make sure it fits the correct format.
Supported HR and payroll systems
CollaborNation works in partnership with other systems to send user lists into our site. If you use any of the following organizations we can set up a connection quickly and easily.
We're always looking to add more supported systems. If you don't see yours listed please contact us and we'll be happy to work with you!
Setting up a new file transfer
Once CypherWorx and the client have agreed to implement the file transfer procedure, CypherWorx will work with the client to complete the task. Listed are the general steps required to set up a new file transfer.
- We will create a directory specifically for you where you can send the CSV files.
- Public and private keys will be created to establish a secure connection between the two systems. Proper access is given to you.
- The client will send a test CSV file for CypherWorx to confirm its delivery. We'll make sure the file can be opened and the users can be added to your site.
- Once a connection has been established, the client will automatically send the CSV file based on their requirements (daily, weekly, etc.).
Once the connection is established, the script will run through the CSV and add or update users into the CollaborNation site. It is important for a CypherWorx programmer to meet with the client to understand the data that they’re sending. Different data has different requirements, and we’ll want to make sure it gets set up correctly to meet the client’s needs.
To get up and running CollaborNation only requires a few fields to be sent in the CSV to create accounts:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
Attached is a sample CSV of the format CollaborNation can use easily.
CollaborNation requires all users to have email addresses to create their account.
- If an email address is not provided in the CSV file then their account will not be created.
- Email addresses must be valid to create an account.
- If an account with that email address already exists in the site, the account will be updated to have a membership in your site.
- Emails sent out on registration can be toggled on or off. Preventing to send out emails lets administrators set up their site and handle communicating the training to their employees on their own if they'd like to do so.
- Email addresses are not case sensitive. If an account already exists and a new CSV file comes over with the same email address but different cases, the existing account will be updated. A second account will not be created. For example, only one account will be made for the following:
All accounts will get created using the same password. This password can be decided by the site's admin, and instructions are expected to be sent to your organization about first time logging in. The first time the person logs in it will ask them to change their password. If an account already exists it will not override their password.
It is strongly recommended not to change the password after accounts have been created. If an administrator decides to do so there will be accounts created with two or more potential passwords, which may cause confusion for your learners.
Your HRIS system should not be storing account passwords in plaintext as it would be a security issue, and as such shouldn't be possible for the passwords to be sent to CollaborNation.
Additional Registration Information
If the client would like to bring in additional fields they're able to do so with Additional Registration Information (ARI) fields. To learn more about ARI fields please go to the Support Hub ARI page or to your site's ARI page.
If the CSV file sends columns outside of first name, last name, and email address, the new fields will be added automatically as an ARI free text field. If you'd like to set it up specifically as a user group, where learners get added to a Reporting Group, make sure to create an ARI field with the exact same spelling and capitalization as what will be sent in the file. The system will then create any reporting groups automatically and add the learners to those Reporting Groups. If a column is in the CSV file then it will create an ARI field.
If some of the additional registration fields are set up as user groups, then the reporting groups will automatically be created based off of the data in the spreadsheet. It is up to the client to keep this data clean in their other system. It’s possible for the client to have two entries that are misspelled, e.g. “Bay Area” and “Bay Are”, if that’s what is sent in the CSV file. In this case two reporting groups would be created. CollaborNation will create any field if it's sent to us.
Sites that have File Transfer set up will have Learner Data Sheet enabled in Admin Settings. This page lets you view details of the file transfer, such as the default password for new accounts, when the site processes the CSV file, and lets you download the CSV file directly to see the exact data that CollaborNation receives.
What File Transfer does not do
File Transfer has a lot of capabilities, but it doesn't do everything.
- Course records cannot be transferred from one system into CollaborNation via File Transfer.
- File Transfer does not have the ability to figure out the hierarchy of reporting groups, i.e. parent group -> children groups.
- This does not offer an SSO solution.
Employee information often changes. They may change departments, changes their name, or potentially anything else. These changes should always be made in your HR/payroll system, and then those changes will be reflected automatically in CollaborNation the next day.
A few areas to note concerning updating employee details:
- CollaborNation uses the email address as the account's ID. If their name or ARI fields get updated and the email address stays the same, those changes will be made automatically. This will all be completed automatically.
- If a person's email address changes a second account will be created. This is because CollaborNation uses email addresses as identification fields. If this happens please contact us and we'll be happy to merge the accounts.
- All account changes should be made in the HR/payroll system. These changes will then be reflected in CollaborNation the next day. If changes are made in CollaborNation it will be overwritten by the CSV file the next day.