It’s common for organizations to have different training requirements to ensure that its learners are within compliance of those requirements.
A Credential is a training type that has two specific criteria that sets it apart:
- The learner must complete its requirements in a period of time.
- The credential will expire and must be renewed to maintain.
This is different from Learning Paths, in that learners are required to complete training in a sequence.
A simple example would be CPR Certification. An individual must complete training to become CPR Certified. Once the certification is issued, it is valid for 2 years. It is then up to the individual to complete the training again to maintain that certification.
Creating a Credential
Then click on Add Credential.
Here you can create and manage your credential.
- Name: Enter the name of your credential.
- Reassign to learner upon completion: This option is great for sending out recurring credentials to ensure the learners are always up to date with their training. This is a great option if you want your learners to be recertified automatically, as an example.
- Complete Within: Set a requirement where your learners must complete the credential in a period of time. You can set any number of days, weeks, months, or years.
- Valid For: Set how long a completed credential is valid for. When a learner completes their credential, it will be valid for this amount of time. You can set any number of days, weeks, months, or years.
- Instructions: Enter in instructions that your learners will see.
Next you can upload an image to display for your Credential. This will appear on the learner's My Courses page to differentiate it from other trainings.
You then have the ability to attach a certificate to your credential. When a learner completes a credential, they would be awarded this certificate of completion.
You have few options for certificates:
- Don't attach any certificates. Upon completion, your learners will not receive a certificate.
- Attach our default certificate of completion, as shown in the image below.
- You can also create your own custom certificate and attach it here. This is great if you want to have your own custom branding and look.
Next you will need to add fulfillment tasks. This section allows you to select the different types of training criteria to earn the credential.
You may select from various learning types including:
- Learning Paths
To add criteria:
- First select the learning Type
- Then select the Training
You must have at least 1 criteria added to create a credential.
If you add multiple trainings, you can control the requirement of how a learner needs to complete the training to earn the credential. Under Operation, you can set the requirement to be either And or Or.
As an example, you can set it so an individual can complete an online course (Adult and Child CPR) OR submit training records with a label (Basic Life Support).
As training requirements may be extensive for some credentials, administrators are able to more finely control these patterns under Criteria Pattern. You can manually set patterns that you would like the training to match.
As an example, you can set training requirements to be:
(1 and 2) or (3 and 4)
Once set, click Save.
You will then be asked to set a reminder. This will notify your learners before the Credential expires.
If you don’t make any changes and keep [deadline:message] as the reminder, by default it will send out:
[Credential name] needs to be completed in [interval].
If you expand Message Tips, you will see variables you can use in your reminder message.
- [user:name] includes the learner’s name
- [user:mail] includes the learner’s email address
- [credential:title] includes the title of the credential
- [credential:link] includes the direct link to the learner’s credential
- [site:url] includes the login URL for your site
- [site:name] includes the name of your site
Finally you can set an Interval that will notify the learner at the designated time. This can be set in days, weeks, or months.
Since receiving notifications about Credentials is important, by default learners will always receive these notifications.
However, if you would like to override this and give learners the option to control these notifications, you may do so in Admin Notification Settings. Simply unlock the notification under Credential Reminders, then uncheck it.
Once a credential has been created, you will want to assign it to learners in your site. Please read the support article on how to assign credentials.
To view what learners see when they are assigned a credential, please see Completing a Training Credential.