Administrators have the ability to create multiple users at once. This can be helpful for organizations who want to create batches of employees to onboard all at once or to set up their site before launching.
Step 1: Download the CSV file
- Go to Admin Tools, then Bulk Add Learners.
- Download the CSV (comma-separated values) template.
- Open the CSV file in a spreadsheet application such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
Step 2: Enter learners' information
- For each learner, you will be required to add information in these columns in the spreadsheet:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Your organization may also collect Registration Fields, which is additional information about learners tied to their account.
- If these fields are marked as required, it was set up as such by an administrator of your site. You can edit if these fields are required.
- Some of these fields may be set up to accept Reporting Groups. If this is the case, it must be spelled exactly as how it appears on the Reporting Groups page. A table is also provided that displays how the names appear.
- Add one row for each learner you would like to register.
- Save it as a CSV file.
Step 3: Upload the file
- Once the file is prepared, attach the file on Bulk Add Learners.
- A table will appear displaying your learner information to review. If anything is not correct, simply make the necessary change to your file and submit it again.
- Check the "Send Welcome Email" box if you would like to send these learners an email saying that their account has been created. This can be customized on Site Building.
- Click Create Learners.
Guidelines and Common Errors
- Be sure to save your spreadsheet as a CSV file type (.csv)
- Enclose values with commas, line breaks, or double quotes in double quotation marks. For example, "123 Main Street, Pleasantville"
- Passwords you set in the CSV file are for one-time use only, learners will be prompted to change their password on their first log in. If you are updating an existing user, their password will not change.
- Add one row for each learner you would like to register. Do not skip rows.
- Do not add or remove columns or change the order in which they appear.
Scenarios for Updating Accounts
- If the learner already exists in your site and their email address is the same, it will not create a duplicate account.
- If the learner already exists in your site but their email address is different, it will create a new account. Our system uniquely identifies people based on their email address.
- If the learner already exists in your site and details about them have changed (such as their name or registration fields), it will update their account with the new details.
- If the learner does not exist in your site but has an account with another organization, your site will be added to their account and the learner can then switch sites at will.